Bruxism (teeth grinding and clenching) is a common dental problem. It can occur at any time, but is more common at night while you are asleep. When untreated, bruxism can cause significant damage to your oral health. Some common signs of bruxism include:
- Chronic or persistent jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain
- Awakening with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines, especially in the morning
- Excessive tooth wear
- Chipped, flattened, cracked or very worn teeth
- Extremely worn or non-existent tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
- Increased tooth sensitivity
When you visit Landry Family and Orthodontic Dentistry, our dentist will examine your mouth to determine the cause of your pain and discomfort. After diagnosing you with bruxism, she may recommend a night guard to help treat your condition and prevent further damage.
Night guards are custom oral appliance worn while asleep. They are designed to fit your mouth perfectly and prevent your upper and lower dental arches from touching. This halts the progression of damage to your teeth and prevents any further damage from occurring. An additional benefit of night guards is that they often help you rest better at night.
After your bruxism is under control, Dr. Cynthia Landry will begin working with you to repair and restore your teeth. We will discuss your oral health and smile goals with you before developing an individualized treatment plan. Your treatment may involve one or more cosmetic or restorative treatments.
To learn more about how night guards in Lepanto, Arkansas, can help you and to schedule your consultation with our experienced dentist, call us today at 870-493-3676.